Comments

1. EmilyHG says

I have the same problem with the kid’s room in my house, and this would definitely be a good solution. Could you please tell me how much room there is between the top of the bottom mattress and the bottom of the bunk? Can your youngest sit up on her mattress? Thanks!

• Mary Beth says

Oh yes she can almost stand right up on it. There’s more than enough room for her and if you look at her Kura bed on Pinterest you will see that many people use the space as a play area once the second bed is removed or if they don’t need one. I’ve seen chairs for reading, play kitchens, etc… and any young child could definitely sit up on a mattress under there – although the thickness of your particular mattress would determine how much space there actually is.
      MB

2. Jackie says

I really like this post- The room looks great. I know you’ve redone it a few times but this is exactly what you needed to do- well done for figuring that out. It’s the perfect solution.

• Mary Beth says

Thanks, Jackie! I know it drives both me and the husband crazy when it takes me a bunch of tries to figure something out, but if it works in the end then it’s worth it. We’re loving it so far, and so are the kids, so everyone is happy!
      MB

3. says

We got this bed and LOVE it! Originally I wanted it because of all the extra space we could now use and I loved how even if my son was on the ‘top bunk’ he was still only about 4 feet up. I bought a cute shower curtain and was able to make two pieces and cover both open areas. I strung up coloured Christmas lights and put pillows and books and some toys in there. He loved his clubhouse. Eventually he wanted to be on the bottom and it flipped SO easy! Now we’ve got the toddler in there too, so like at your house, one on the bottom and one on the top. A great space saver and I love that it’s not too high up. Great job B, it looks amazing!

• Mary Beth says

Thanks, Marjorie! We love it so far and the kids are MAD about it. I often fall asleep with Ella down below and it’s tough to drag myself out of there.. lol it’s so cozy!
      I am definitely going to add some lights and a little shelf for each of them to be able to reach some books, etc. So far it’s a hit!
      MB