Oh man, I haven’t shared an actual DIY in quite a while – it’s been making me crazy! I just can’t find the TIME and with the cold weather upon us here in the Toronto area it’s not easy to be outside to work/paint etc.
But one thing I KNEW I had to get done before the winter came was our ridiculous, useless, nothing of a front closet. With five people in this house, we are about to need storage for a lot of coats and boots! What we had was just not going to cut it.
A few months back I shared my closet stress and ideas for what I wanted to do… you can see that post HERE.
So, here is the “before”:
Oh my god, I can’t even stand to LOOK at this photo!! Whoever lived here before had built this weird bench with a stack of cubbies on top. So bulky and not functional at all. Mind you, our house is almost 70 years old and families sure didn’t have the amount of stuff they have now, but still.
Here are a few more photos to give you a real look inside the madness…
This closet has been on my shit list for the six and a half years we’ve lived here, I’m not kidding. When we bought this house in 2008 it was just me, the hubby and Taya – but even then it was horrid! It’s not just that it’s small, it’s that there is so much wasted space and the way it was put together was just ridiculous.
I knew that one more winter with it would seriously put me over the edge, and aside from that we are hoping to sell this coming spring so I’m trying to tackle my projects for real now.
The one great thing about this house, the thing that sold me on it actually, is the mud room. With a front hall entry so small, having a mudroom out back was amazing:
It was perfect. A place to bring in wet boots, wet dogs and groceries, it was just what we needed. It’s insulated, but the many windows are not, so it is really only a three season room. It’s usable in the winter, but it’s COLD. Anyway, after about a year of living here we noticed that the floor was starting to sag, and the exterior door wouldn’t shut properly. It was annoying at first, but then it got bad. The room is essentially not usable at all right now – the back door will not close at ALL and the floor is bad. My husband needs to rip it up and start from scratch, so what does that mean? Yup – we are all forced to used the tiny front hall.
Which brings me back to my issue with the closet.
So, two days ago I just walked up, opened the door, and started ripping everything out. Seriously. This is how I operate. I stare at something for six years and then one day just grab a crow bar.
OMG that was so awesome. I’ve never really demo’d something like that before! So cool! Thankfully it all fell like a deck of cards, so it wasn’t too hard. The hardest part was prying the wood strips off the floor. If you look above you’ll see them. They are what held the original bench and shelves in place, and they were really hard to get up. But an hour of elbow grease and I had them out. Then it was time to clean the 70 years of GROSS that was hidden in there.
So once I cleared all all the junk, I vacuumed the heck out of it and washed down the walls and the floor. I can’t believe how much better it was already looking!
Then I got to painting. I just kept everything white and left the floor for now. I could stain it to match the rest of the front hall, or I could just put some peel ‘n’ stick tile down… but honestly I think just putting mats or boot trays in there makes the most sense. We shall see.
I don’t have any pictures of the finished paint job because I just get too excited sometimes and forge ahead. My plan was to take the shelf at the very top and put it on the other side of the closet so that it ran above the coat rod. Then I wanted to add shelves underneath where the coats hang so that we had shoe storage. That would leave the right side of the closet basically empty, and that’s where I wanted to hang a bunch of hooks for school bags, kids coats, etc.
So, I measured what I would need for the shelves and off I went to Lowe’s. When I got back it took me literally ten minutes to get them installed, and I was already freaking out with joy.
I will skip ahead now to the end product… there are still some things I want to tweak (like adding more hooks up high for my husband’s hats, and some baskets on the top shelf for our hats and mitts, etc.) but overall, it’s done – and it’s bloody amazing!
I hung some super high hooks, since long coats can’t be hung on the rod and I also wanted an easy spot to put snow pants in the winter. I am SO SO SO happy with it, and I cannot believe it took me over six years to get it done. I’m really proud of myself, though. I did it 100% on my own and it cost $30. Yup.. that’s it. I already had the white paint, and the MDF that I had cut was $30 on the nose. Can’t beat that!
Don’t let these things eat at you, people… learn from my mistakes. I could kick myself for waiting so long, but instead I will just open the door every time I walk past it today, and admire its amazingness.
Becuase it’s super amazing!!