Craft time!! The 10 minute DIY stuffed animal holder..

***Update!***

This post is by far my most popular… it has been shared thousands of times over on Facebook and Pinterest, and I’m so happy that so many people have found it useful! I’ve updated it to include a more “pin friendly” pic, so please – keep sharing!!
xoMB

Okay so my 8 year old daughter has never been into Barbies or babies or dollies or anything of the sort.  She IS, however, OBSESSED with stuffed animals. She has 8,864,375 of them and in my recent mission to GET EVERYTHING OFF THE FLOOR I have been researching various methods of how to get our house more organized and tidy.

This is pretty much my daily mission.  Our house is OLD – almost 70 years old – and while it’s been updated there is still zero storage or closet space and I literally lie awake at night thinking of ways to stash things away.

Anyway, back to the task at hand.

While the baby napped this morning I was struck by an idea, no idea where it came from.  Ten minutes later I had strung up two stuffed animal “caddys” if you will, and they are FANTASTIC!

Here is what you will need:

• a spool of thin ribbon

• scissors

• clothes pins

• a silver key chain ring (I literally took two off my own car keys and merged my keys onto other rings)

First you will need to measure how much ribbon you will need – this is basically from the floor to the ceiling, plus a few inches extra for tying it off.

Then, to begin you tie a knot almost at the bottom of one end of the ribbon. These knots are what the clothes pins will sit on top of.  The knots will keep them in place and keep them from moving once the weight of the toys is on them.  So this first not will be where the lowest toy will sit.

Now you’re going to thread the ribbon through the little metal spring inside the clothes pin. In order to do this I just took a bobby pin, pulled the rubber ends off and hooked it through the ribbon, feeding the pin through the spring and it brought the ribbon with it…

Image

Once the clothes pin is on, slide it all the way down until it is sitting on that bottom knot.

Image

I chose to lay two clothes pins on top of each other on each knot, one to clip a toy on the left and one to clip a toy on the right, to maximize space.

You then tie another knot, and continue the process. I chose to tie my knots about 6 inches apart, but it depends on the size of the toys you are clipping, so it’s up to you.

Once you have slid the clothes pins onto all the knots it will look like this:

Image

Take the silver key ring and tie the very top of the ribbon to it, I double knotted it very tightly and trimmed off the frayed edge.

Once this was done I simply used a heavy duty nail and hammered it into the wall on an angle so that I could hook the ring over it. I attached the bazillion stuffed animals and VOILA!

Image

Image

I was literally done in 10 minutes, AND I made two of them.  Like I said.. my daughter is cuckoo for these things. So happy with how it turned out and now she has easy access to all her favourites!

SUPER easy and quick DIY stuffed animal holder - HystericallyEverAfter.com

Happy crafting,

B

Comments

1. Amy says

This is genius!! I’m totally doing this – and I am NOT a DIYer! :)
    I had no idea you had started a blog! Good for you! I’ve been thinking for awhile about doing the same thing.

2. toddloupe@att.net says

Thanks for sharing! I was just about to order a chain toy organizer for like $12 plus shipping. So glad I came across this.

• says

I’m so happy you found me!
      : )
      It’s a super easy project and if you use solid, good quality clothes pins it will last a long time.
      Good luck!
      B

• Cyn says

Awesome! Thank you! I’ve been looking for a way to coral my girls’ plushies! This looks super easy and perfect for what I need!

• says

You’re very welcome! Hope it works out.. It’s a super easy and cheap solution for a verrrrrry common problem.
        LOL
        Thanks for reading!
        xoB

3. Jennifer K says

I just came across this when looking for ideas! Genius! I have read a million sites looking for stuffed animal storage and this was PERFECT!!!! Thank you. It took about 15 min and all of my supplies came from the dollar store so VERY inexpensive!!!

• says

YAY! So happy that you found it useful… I love finding inexpensive and creative things to help around the house.
      : )
      Thanks for writing!
      B

4. Dionne says

Thank you for this! I was looking for a way to store all my daughter’s stuffed animals and this will also perfectly give her room some height and “raise the eye” as well. I am about to get crafty! (I used to have one of those stuffed animal nets too and thought there has GOT to be something better. This is it!

• says

Thanks, Dionne – I’m so glad you found your solution!! This is a popular one.. People seem to like it and hey, the price is right! LOL
      Hope it works well for you and thanks for stopping by.
      : )
      B

5. Stephanie says

I found this idea through…Pinterest (what else?). I am wondering, months later, if this toy holder is still holding up? We have a bajillion and one stuffed animals. Right now they are in her Pack and Play, but I’m ready to pack that up! Thanks!

• says

Thanks Stephanie! Pinterest is the BESSSSST I am totally addicted.
      This toy holder has been AWESOME. I’ve made a few more and the kids just love them.
      The clothes pins that I use are very cheap (dollar store) ones, so they won’t support anything too heavy.. But I’m sure you could buy better ones and failing that you can just use them for all the smaller stuff!
      Let me know if you try it, I would love to know how it turns out.
      xoB

6. katie says

I have 3 kids, 4 and under. My 2 year old daughter is much like yours, she has about 4 baby dolls and I have no intention of buying her more since the only “babies” she cares about are cover in “fur”! I thought that using our 4-cube cubby was a great idea (and I’m talking about the kind you put together…each piece is separate…they are about 18″ cubes!). First I thought I would try and display them so you could see them all then realized I still had 100 left over (and that’s just the ones NOT stashed away in totes from when we moved!) so I threw them in and stuffed it tight…they have taken over the 3 feet in front of the cubes too! And I have quite the stash of ribbon from my “I’m going to make bows and sell them” days lol. Really looking forward to trying this. Thank you for your amazing idea…so glad you decided to share.

• katie says

Ok…just got going on my first attempt with this…I found out that I bought the dumb clothespins (luckily I didn’t buy them for this…I already had them on hand). The spring hole is TINY-the first half had normal sized holes and worked great! I, being the stubborn woman that I am, was determined to finish this project yet tonight so instead of continuing to try and get my ribbon through the tiny hole I pushed it through side-no bobby pin (mine broke trying to get it through the hole!)…just put my ribbon flat up against the clothespin and pushed it through. It appears it WILL work. Looking forward to hanging this baby up and filling it. Just thought I’d post my little problems in case anyone else unknowingly runs into the same problem!

7. Vanessa says

Now that you have had the stuffed animals up for some time would you change or do anything different? Did it ever pull away from the wall from the weight?

• says

Nope it’s been amazing!!
      I would use the best clothes pins you can find, that’s my only recommendation…
      Good luck and thanks for reading…
      xoB

8. says

So glad I stumbled across this idea! I was so close to buying some toy chains on amazon and did a Pinterest search first. Thank you so much for the inspiration! I just made three :)

• says

That’s great! I’m glad you found me.. LOL. They’ve been a great solution in our house and my best idea yet!
      Thanks for reading,
      B

• says

I’m not even sure what you mean by hooks! Lol none of my daughter’s stuffed animals have hooks, I just let the clothespin clip on to the back of a neck, an arm, a pony tail… Whatever worked!
      Hope that helps – thanks for reading!
      B

9. says

Thanks for your comment on my blog! This went so well I think I will make another one for the other side of the play room. These girls can’t get enough stuffed animals! : )

10. says

Thank you SO much for this amazing idea! I have been searching on pintrest for a while for stuffed animal storage and was so happy I came across your nifty idea! As I read the materials I thought, “I have all of that!” then I read the steps and thought, “I can so do that!” So I DID!!!! Here is a link to my pintrest pin of my completion with my very happy son Logan :) http://www.pinterest.com/pin/549931804471990419/

• says

Hey Heather that’s awesome!! This has been my most popular post BY FAR to date. Pinterest brings hundreds of people here each day and I’m so happy that so many have found it to be helpful.
      Thanks for commenting and for reading!
      Hope you’ll come back… :)
      MB

11. Susannah says

This is just such a great solution and I think I even have everything in my house at 1145 pm on a Tues night. Thank you and I will bookmark your site for other great tips.

12. Realtor by day, Chef by night says

I LOVE this idea. I’ve been looking for a way to store a TON of scraves in a tiny space. I’m going to play with the spacing and use your idea to make a scarf holder! Thanks so much for this inexpensive and super easy idea.

13. sara says

Hello! I noticed the white duck without front flippers. I had one just like it as a kid. Can you tell me where you got it from??

• Mary Beth says

Hi Sara.. I’m so sorry, I have NO clue who bought that duck or where it may have come from. I wish I could help…
      MB

14. Nadine says

Hi! I love this! But I’m having a huge problem getting the ribbon through the metal part of the pin! I can’t get it through!? I have regular sized pins so I don’t understand why it won’t go through? I could have got even thinner ribbon maybe? (Like the silky feel kind), but I felt like that would be too thin and flimsy? So I just got like a regular, looks just like the kind you have pictured.

15. says

What I learned that’s not mentioned in the article.
    I used 5/8″ ribbon for Joeys, it was the thine kind you can see through, it worked perfect. The 5/8″ Jordan picked was solid and thicker and could not go through the clothespins. I woundv up using the skinnier kind of wrapping ribbon for hers. It worked great but I’m slightly worried it may stretch out with use. I recommend the fabric ribbon either skinnier then 5/8″ or thinner like joeys was.
    I had to use pliers to squish the fold of the Bobby pin to make it fit through the clothespin.
    I also put ceiling hooks up instead of nails in the wall. And hung all the ribbons together. Both my kids love it.

16. Lynne says

Hi, great idea, but I counted the stuffed animals stored, and it appears to be 14. I would need 3 maybe 6 of these to store all my daughter’s stuffed animals. Also, it would not do for the almost life-sized saint bernard that she has. I guess my question is, would you feel it would hold up to two animals per clothespin? It might be worth doing for 28 stuffed animals.

Also, I think there is a typo in this sentence, “So this first not will be where the lowest toy will sit.” after the first picture displaying the technique. I assume you meant to type “knot”.

Trackbacks